Friday, May 3, 2013

Patriotic Prose and a Few Poems


I was going through some of my old notebooks from high school (13 years ago since I was a freshman!) and found this little essay about America and a couple poems I thought were neat from that moment in my life. 

The Young Man and the Flag
By: Rebekah Sharon Palmer
Suggested by Is. 53:1-6 and the song “Bring Back the Cross” recorded by Bob Gilley

Ezekiel 22:30 “And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.”

Proverbs 29:18 “Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.”

Psalms 33:12 “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.”

       Once upon a time there lived a young man, his wife, and their two precious daughters. One day, as the young man walked through town, he spotted the majestic flag, Old Glory, under which he served. Stirred within his heart to recite the pledge, the young man was compelled to stop beside the road and honor his flag. After he finished, the demeanor of the flag seemed to change from proudly waving to dejectedly hanging. The once bright, glorious flag looked tainted and torn. As rain began to fall and slosh on the flag, it seemed to the young man that Old Glory was weeping. While he stood there gazing at her, the Star-Spangle Banner began to speak, “I’ve flown for this great country and out of all the years I’ve flown, this generation lacks great patriot heroes like the great soldiers and citizens of long ago. I receive no honor and I receive no loyalty, but more than these the most precious thing I lost was the thing that made me glorious and that is the Cross.”
        Stunned by the blunt and audible words of Old Glory, the young man kneeled by the side of the road, tears of confusion on his face. He looked up at Old Glory and asked, “What do you mean? America is still fighting under red, white, and blue! What’s this Cross we have taken from you?”
        The rain began to pour now, a puddle in each drop, and the American Flag began to sob, “The Cross you have taken from me is the Cross that built this very country. God died on that Cross in the form of His Son and freed men’s sinful souls with his own precious blood. America spells out freedom because of His sacrifice. Now Americans have taken Him out of schools, and are trying to take Him from my pledge. Americans have even taken Him out of some churches and the younger patriots minds. I’m trying to fly for a great country ruled under God’s strong hand, but I can’t fly for her proudly when God is not in control of this land.”
          His face now contorted in anger, the young man quickly said, “I still don’t understand. God isn’t taken out of schools. Children can pray, can go to church, and can learn in their own way. I don’t see how the Cross and America must together stay.”
         “I’m afraid it’s you who doesn’t understand,” the stripes of red and white replied, “prayer is being eliminated, too. Yes, you can pray, but not for the One who shed his blood and lives now for you, the One Who started our stripes of red as He was nailed to the tree, thus beginning the scarlet path of patriot’s blood flowing free. The people who started this once great country taught their children all about God and placed them in their minds. The people took their children to church, no argument made, the children said “Yes, sir” and went. Respectful and virtuous citizens couldn’t have been pure if it weren’t for the Christ who saved there lives. That’s where our stripes of white have started, purity in Christ and virtuous lives.”
         There was a pause and then the field of blue began to speak to the young man, “The royalty of Christ is when you become one of His and this gives a person respect and love for his country held dear.”
          The stars in their shining splendor twinkled and proudly said, “The Cross is the reason we sparkle so bright and the Cross is what our country and states have believed in.”
           Then the whole American Flag recited to the young man, “What is America doing now? She’s killing her own and calling it legal. She’s indulging in sin and believing in lies. She’s allowing wrong philosophies and everyone’s rights dictate her direction instead of Almighty God. Why aren’t Americans “In God We Trust” and “United We Stand”? It’s worked before…but then America had Christ.”
             As the impact of the Flag’s proclamations sank into the young man’s heart, he realized he needed to stand up and do his part. With a sobbing head bowed low the young man determined to bring back the Cross to America. But first he brought the Cross into his own life. Old Glory started smiling and the sun started shining. With his head raised high, the young man gave his life to God, Who alone saved his soul and Who alone can save this nation.
              What America needs today is other Americans, who, like the young man, bring back the Cross to their own lives and to our nation; for only then will America become “one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

Ecclesiastes 12:13 “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.”

2 Chronicles 7:14 “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” 

Moments of Time to Cherish
September 20, 2000

Time, what’s it really mean?
Time, not a thing to me
Time, just one more thing to waste,
Time, what’s it really mean?

Moments, precious parts of time,
Moments, those memories divine,
Moments, golden themes of life,
Moments, precious parts of time.

Jesus came, was that a waste of time?
Jesus died, what’s it mean to me?
Jesus lives, did He do it in vain?
Jesus came, was that a waste of time?

Cherish, cherish the time I was saved,
Cherish, the time I made Jesus mine,
Cherish, my walk with Him,
Cherish, all his love for me.



Why? (January 2001)

Why did God send His Son?
His one and only begotten One?
To die upon a mean, ugly tree,
just to save a sinner such as me?

Why does God love me so?
When I turn from Him as I go?
Why did He make me?
Why, I ask?

God answers still.

I sent my Son because I love you,
I love you because I made you,
I made you because I want you to love me.

Why not accept God’s gift of love so true and free? 


September 11, 2001
-account on that day
May 15, 2002

My school, Immanuel Baptist Church School, in Menomonie, WI:

Everyone in their seats is silent,
not a word whispered at such violence
How could they do it?
to America the land of immortality?

Eyes are glued to the school’s TV.
gasps of horror escape each mouth,
knuckles turn white as each student
trembles,
How could this happen today?

Moments before, students in New York
were preparing for class,
but in one shattering moment
they’re blue sky turned black.
School’s out! No one shouts
but fear and trembling all run
out.
Where was God on September 11?
How could He who blessed us,
turn against us?

I’ll tell you where God was that
Day,
In the same place He was 2,000 years
ago when His Son died for you and
for me.

America, God wants your attention.
Bring back the glory we once knew.
America bring back the cross again.




The KJV BIBLE
 February 6, 2004 (My Junior year of High School)

The King’s Word is the highest Truth.
It is pages of the Prince’s Promises.
It will always be a piercing two edged sword,
Slashing and clashing against the cruel, wicked stone of man’s heart.
It will always be a steaming, steel hammer—
Shattering to bits the unbreakable stone.
It will always be a flaming fire—
Engulfing the icy stone.
Yet it is a crisp, cool, bubbly liquid,
Gushing over the stone made soft.
Yet it is soft, willowy feathers of a mother bird,
Comforting souls in anguish and despair.



No comments:

Post a Comment