Monday, August 12, 2013

Poetry Discovered This Summer

Here are a few poems I have read this summer that I thoroughly enjoyed:

The Song of Wandering Aengus
by William Butler Yeats

I went out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire aflame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And someone called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.

Crazy Jane On The Day of Judgment
by William Butler Yeats

'Love is all
Unsatisfied
That cannot take the whole
Body and soul';
And that is what Jane said.

'Take the sour
If you take me,
I can scoff and lour
And scold for an hour'.
'That's certainly the case,' said he.

'Naked I lay,
The grass my bed;
Naked and hidden away,
That black day';
And that is what Jane said.

'What can be shown?
What true love be?
All could be known or shown
If Time were but gone,'
That's certainly the case,' said he.

Three sonnets from Sonnets to Orpheus
by Rainer Maria Rilke

Mirrors, no one yet has really described
what you are in your true nature.
You, as if filled with nothing but the holes
of a sieve, the intervals of time.

You, spendthrift, still giving yourself away to the empty
       ballroom--
when the dark dawn comes, as wide as forests,
and the chandelier goes, like a sixteen-point stag
through your impossible gateway.

Sometimes you are full of paintings.
A few seem to have entered you--
while others you sent shyly past.

But the loveliest girl will remain until,
there to her withheld cheeks,
Narcissus, clear and set free, shall force his way.
                      


Full, ripe apple, pear and banana,
gooseberry...all these speak
death and life in the mouth...I perceive...
Read it from a child's face

who tastes them. This comes from far away.
Is something slowly becoming nameless in your mouth?
Where once were words, discoveries flow,
startled and set free from the flesh of fruit.

Dare to say what you call Apple.
This sweetness, which first condenses,
is quietly put down into taste,

so as to become clear, thin and transparent.
ambiguous, sunny, earthy, familiar--:
oh, experience, feeling, joy--enormous!



Spring has come again. The earth
is like a child who has learned poems by heart,
many, oh many...by working long
and hard at her lessons, she has won the prize.

Her teacher was strict. We liked the white
in the beard of the old man.
Now, if we ask her to name the blues,
the greens: she can, she can!

Lucky, vacationing earth, play
now with the children. We try to catch you,
happy earth. The happiest will do it.

Oh, what her teacher has taught her--so much!
and everything that's printed in roots, and long,
difficult stems: she sings it, she sings!

1 comment:

  1. Oh! This is awesome! Thanks for this! I'm always looking for new poetry to read!

    (Although I do have several volumes I still need to read in their entirety. I'm probably going to dedicate a couple of months next year just to those.)

    ReplyDelete