Sunday, April 24, 2016

April 2016 Sexual Assault Awareness Poem

I Am Not Your Sacrificial Lamb
by Rebekah S. Palmer

alabaster worm leering
in my face
"put your mouth over it"
I tell him no
afraid he is going to
pee in my mouth
my five year old mind
DOES NOT UNDERSTAND
what is happening
he keeps begging
promises he won't pee
in my mouth
I decide to do what
he asks
just to get out
of spending what must be years
in this closet

I can't remember if this
happened one time
or twenty
I started letting
my feelings
drain
from my body
in these kinds of
situations.

at age FIVE
I was taught the lesson
a man's sexual desires
are ubiquitous

he pushes me away
and out
at the sound
of my brother's
footsteps
I work on forgetting
this ever happened
but as I grow older
too many comments
by too many boys
bring me back inside
that dark closet
dank, putrid sweat
is still in my nose
after all these years...

I start to speak out
only to be silenced
because adults are
embarrassed
confused
guilty
protective
shameful
insecure
oppressed
worried
well...

now I'm the adult
and I'm telling
sharing
revealing
writing
opening
undressing
my life
no secrets

at age 5...a teenage babysitter
at age 11...a teenager on a school bus
at age 16...a male teacher feigned concern over my disabled body
at age 21...the head deacon of a radical denomination forces fondles
at age 24...a male peer demanded sexual activity
at age 27...online requests and harassment for sex
at age 28...a date refuses to stop when told no

authorities need to stop predators
from using their victims as
an excuse for their sins


 https://twloha.com/

*The below YouTube videos contain triggering content such as adult scenes and language. Watch at your own discretion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra-Om7UMSJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocDlOD1Hw9k

No comments:

Post a Comment